Get hands-on instruction and practice installing and configuring Windows Server 2012, including Windows Server 2012 R2. This course is part one in a series of three courses that provides the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment.
The three courses collectively cover implementing, managing, maintaining and provisioning services and infrastructure in a Windows Server 2012 environment. Although there is some cross-over of skills and tasks across these courses, this course focuses on the initial implementation and configuration of core services, such as Networking, Storage, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Group Policy, File and Print Services, and Hyper-V.
Labs in this course are based on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.
If you are looking for a Windows Server 2016 certification you find an equivalent to this course in course M20740 Storage and Compute with Windows Server
Before attending this course, students must have:
- A good understanding of networking fundamentals.
- An understanding and experience configuring security and administration tasks in an Enterprise environment.
- Experience supporting or configuring Microsoft Windows clients.
Module 1: Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 Overview
- Overview of Windows Server 2012 Management
- Installing Windows Server 2012
- Post-Installation Configuration of Windows Server 2012
- Introduction to Windows PowerShell
- Lab : Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012
Module 2: Introduction to Active Directory Domain Services
- Overview of Active Directory Domain Services
- Overview of Domain Controllers
- Installing a Domain Controller
- Lab : Installing Domain Controllers
Module 3: Managing Active Directory Domain Services Objects
- Managing User Accounts
- Managing Groups Accounts
- Managing Computer Accounts
- Delegating Administration
- Lab : Managing Active Directory Domain Services Objects
Module 4: Automating Active Directory Domain Services Administration
- Using Command-line Tools for Administration
- Using Windows PowerShell for Administration
- Performing Bulk Operations with Windows PowerShell
- Lab : Automating AD DS Administration by Using Windows PowerShell
Module 5: Implementing IPv4
- Overview of TCP/IP
- Understanding IPv4 Addressing
- Subnettingand Supernetting
- Configuring and Troubleshooting IPv4
- Lab : Implementing IPv4
Module 6: Implementing DHCP
- Installing a DHCP Server Role
- Configuring DHCP Scopes
- Managing a DHCP Database
- Securing and Monitoring DHCP
- Lab : Implementing DHCP
Module 7: Implementing DNS
- Name Resolution for Windows Client and Servers
- Installing and Managinga DNS Server
- ManagingDNS Zones
- Lab : Implementing DNS
Module 8: Implementing IPv6
- Overview of IPv6
- IPv6 Addressing
- Coexistence with IPv4
- IPv6 Transition Technologies
- Lab : Implementing IPv6
Module 9: Implementing Local Storage
- Overview of Storage
- Managing Disks and Volumes
- Implementing Storage Spaces
- Lab : Implementing Local Storage
Module 10: Implementing File and Print Services
- Securing Files and Folders
- Protecting File Shares with Shadow Copies
- Configuring Network Printing
- Lab : Implementing File and Print Services
Module 11: Implementing a Group Policy Infrastructure
- Overview of Group Policy
- Group Policy Processing
- Implementing a Central Store for Administrative Templates
- Lab : Implementing Group Policy
Module 12: Securing Windows Servers by Using Group Policy Objects
- Windows Security Overview
- Configuring Security Settings
- Restricting Software
- Configuring Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
- Lab : Lab A: Increasing Security for Server Resources
Module 13: Implementing Server Virtualization with Hyper-V
- Overview of Virtualization Technologies
- Implementing Hyper-V
- Managing Virtual Machine Storage
- Managing Virtual Networks
- Lab : Implementing Server Virtualization with Hyper-V
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Install and configure Windows Server 2012.
- Describe AD DS.
- Manage Active Directory objects.
- Automate Active Directory administration.
- Implement IPv4.
- Implement Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
- Implement Domain Name System (DNS).
- Implement IPv6.
- Implement local storage.
- Implement file and print services.
- Implement Group Policy.
- Secure Windows servers by using Group Policy Objects (GPOs).
- Implement server virtualization by using Hyper-V.
This course is intended for information technology (IT) professionals who have some knowledge and experience working with Windows operating systems and who want to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to install and perform the initial configuration of a Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 server in an existing Windows server environment.
This course maps directly to and is the preferred choice for hands-on preparation for the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Exam 410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012, which is the first of three exams required for the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 credential.
: Administering Windows Server 2012
This course will be delivered with digital courseware. In order to have the best learning experience you are asked to bring your own second screen to view the courseware. A second screen includes: tablets and laptops.